Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Meet Our Little Man Braxten!











Braxten Kyler Merrill was born on October 18th 2009! He weighed 7 lbs 10 oz, 20 inches long.
Here is the story: WaRnInG...its LONG!
I had a doctors appointment on Friday the 16th (my due date) and the doctor said I was dialated to a 3 and 70-80 percent effaced so she said she had already scheduled me for an induction with her. (I go to Gila Valley Clinic so you see 4 women doctors and whoever is on call delivers your baby...but this doctor, Dr. Rheinfelder, was Kyler and my absolute favorite doctor) She said she wanted to deliver my baby and was on call so she scheduled it for the next day, which was Saturday. We felt good about me getting induced but still nervous because of the many scary stories of being induced. So Friday night Kyler and I spent a great night together because we knew that it would be our last night alone for a while. The next day we went in at 7:30 and I got all hooked up to the machines and they started me right away on pitosin. They kept coming to check me and I wasn't making any progress. Later that afternoon they decided I really wasn't going anywhere with the pitosin and decided to take me off pitosin and start me on something else. A pill they put up you for 4 hours at a time that softens the cervix and helps contract. After they put the pill in me I would have to lay flat for a while then I could get up. Finally after being in bed all day I got to get up and walk around for a little bit that evening. I also got to eat some real food which was good! They did end up telling me if I didn't progress in the morning they might send me home and try in a couple of days and I was hoping and crossing my fingers the pill would work so I wouldn't have to get sent home...that would be the worst ever! So we went through the night, longest night of my life. (some contractions, coming to put the pill in me ever 4 hours, having to come in every 15 min and adjust my moniter because he would move, checking vitals, checking to see if I progressed...all that fun stuff) So finally morning came and they let me take a shower and eat some breakfast. They checked me and said my cervix was softer but I was still dialated to a 3 but they told me that it was progress so they weren't going to send me home. They ended up putting me back on pitosin. A couple hours later they checked me again and said I was dialated to a 4 and I was in alot of pain by this time and had been for quite a while. The doctor said if I wanted she could call for the epidural and I responded "YES!" right away! Fifteen minutes later I got the epidural, I was deathly afraid to get it (I hate hate hate needles!) but it went well, I'm a big fan and so is Kyler! Right after I got the epidural about an hour later they broke my water and after that I was progressing good. When I was finally dialated to a 7 both of our moms left and said to call them when I was getting closer. They had been there for a while and thought I would have a couple more hours before I delivered. Right after they left they came and checked me again and I had dialated to a 9 and almost 100 percent effaced and they started getting everything ready. We had to call them to come back after they had been gone not even 15 minutes. When they got back they checked me and they said I was there and getting ready to push in a couple minutes. (They let some of the contractions push him down lower which helped.) After they told me I was ready to push, I all of the sudden felt really scared and overwhelmed not really knowing what to expect but Kyler was right by my side and made it all much easier for me knowing he was there. I started to push at about 6:19 and an hour later at 7:19 he was out! I could feel the contractions a little bit (good thing because the moniter was not working so I would have to tell them when I could feel them so I could push) I also could feel pressure down there which I liked. I don't think I wouldn't have liked not feeling nothing at all. It went by really fast it seemed. Kyler and I were both crying and it was such an amazing experience! When they put him on me I'm pretty sure I was in shock and exhausted because I just sat there and smiled I didn't really know what to do. Kyler cut the cord and was by him the whole time while he was getting checked. He is so proud of his new son! The spirit was so strong in that room and I can't believe he is actually here. He is a perfect healthy little boy! We feel very blessed to have him in our home! We finally got to come home Tuesday afternoon after being in the hospital for 3 1/2 days!
All of us are doing just fine. Kyler and I are loving being parents to a cute little boy, but wishing we could get some more sleep, I'm sure that is how it goes for all first time parents!
A BIG THANKS to Kyler for being a champ through everything and being right by my side all along the way, I am so grateful to have him...he has been wonderful helping at night, keeping up on the house, cooking, running errands, plus working his job...he is a trooper! Also thanks to all of our family who has helped out and for many who has brought meals and came to visit! Thanks also Heather for bringing flowers, the sweet texts and for being a great friend!

13 comments:

Jennifer said...

He is SO cute!! Congrats guys!!

Amanda said...

I've been waiting for this post! He's so beautiful! I like the name too. Everyone was naming there boys Gavin. I can't wait to meet him. Congrats!!!!

Jory and Chani said...

Congrats Kara! I have been waiting for you to post something! Now you just have to keep it up!

MeganHowell said...

congratulations! he looks perfect:)

Markee said...

Congrats!! Little boys are so much fun!! He is a little doll baby!!!

Jacob and Jessica said...

It official, you guys make perfect beautiful babies!!! Congratulations :)

Young Family said...

He is so adorable!! Congratulations guys!!

Anonymous said...

He is so precious! Congratulations guys!!!

Lauren said...

I've been waiting for the little guy to come!! I'm so happy for you guys! He's beautiful. What an awesome experience!

payneful life said...

Congratulations Kara! Dr. Rhienfelder delivered(and induced) both Braeli and Paizli. She is AWESOME and I just love her to pieces!

Glad it all went well. I know how crummy it is to be induced especially with the pill! And the waiting!

He is ADORABLE. YOu two definately should have more children. You guys made one beautiful son!
Hope it's all going well. It gets easier-believe me.

Collin and Hannah said...

Glad everything went well. He is a little cutie! You guys will be great parents, and don't worry you will get sleep eventually. :)

Troy & Alyssa Packer said...

You did a good job Kara. When I was having Zoey it took for ever too. She tryed to come at 31 weeks so I was on a pill then a week before I was due they induced me and it took me from when I went in till 6:44 the next day before I had her. Then I couldn't leave until two mornings after I had her. Im so happy everything went good for you. Congratulations!!!

Garet and Amanda said...

We love you guys! I am so glad that you live close so that we can see little Braxton. Kara he really is so cute!! so so so cute!!!